Apple Snacking Cake
Snacking cakes are the best cakes and an apple snacking cake is the best one for fall, and for hangry kids after school. The cake has a soft and tender crumb and is studded with chunks of fresh apples, generously coated with cinnamon. Prior to baking, the top of the cake is sprinkled with Turbinado sugar providing the prettiest sparkle and a delightful crunch.The cake is one-bowl, which means assembly is lightening-fast and clean up is a breeze. If apples are not your fave, substitute chunks of stone fruit (no need to peel peaches or plums) or even blueberries, in their place and to omit the cinnamon.
Servings 12 slices
For the cake batter:
- 1/2 cup mild olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For the apples:
- 2 medium apples I like Granny Smith
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x8x2- inch pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugars, and vanilla. Add the egg, and then the yolk, whisking after each. Add the buttermilk and whisk until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda onto a sheet of parchment, and using a rubber spatula, fold the dry into the wet in three additions, until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared-pan, scraping the bowl well.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into 1/2-inch chunks. Place them in the now-empty bowl, wiping it with a paper towel first, if you so desire.Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar and toss with your hands to coat.
- Top the cake batter with the apples in a single layer-you may have some leftover apple pieces. Sprinkle the cake with the Turbinado sugar.
- Transfer the cake to the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the pan after 20 minutes. The cake is done when a tester inserted into the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Bring to room temperature before dusting with confectioners’ sugar and serving along with a dollop of freshly whipped cream, or not, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or not.The cake will keep wrapped in plastic wrap for three days on the counter-and some claim it gets better with age.
Subscribe to My Newsletter
Subscribe to my bi-monthly (extraordinarily newsy) newsletter, chock full of recipes and fascinating personal tidbits.
Invalid email address
I promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
4 replies on “Easy One-Bowl Apple Snack Cake Recipe”
Chow hound doesn’t exist & Id really like to try the One Bowl Apple Snack Cake recipe
Is there any other site to find it?
Here you go. https://www.jessiesheehanbakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/apple-snack-cake.pdf Also perhaps you’ll consider checking out my new cookbook, Snackable Bakes, which has a pear version of the original apple cake but u can sub apples.
Thank you Jessie…saw you on The Dish on CBS this morning! Love your easy Peary recipes & your enthusiasm!!
Yay! And thanks for watching.