This recipe was originally created for Parents Magazine.
Classic Birthday (Icebox) Cake
Servings 16 Slices
- 120 Nilla Wafer Cookies, 16.5ounces(1 1/2 boxes), or another crispy vanilla cookie
- Nonpareils or rainbow sprinkles for decorating
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line the bottom of a 9 by 3-inch springform pan with plastic wrap. Grease the sides with softened butter or cooking spray and line with a 3-inch wide strip of parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or in a large bowl and using a hand mixer, whisk the cream sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla on medium speed until thickened. Increase the speed to medium-high and continue to whisk until medium to stiff peaks form, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread about 2 cups of the cream on the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover the cream in a layer of cookies, breaking them up to fill in any gaps and to create a solid layer of cookies. Repeat with another layer of cream and another solid layer of cookies. Continue layering in this fashion until you reach the top of the pan or run out of cookies and cream, finishing with a layer of cream.Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.
- Remove the sides of the pan and peel away the parchment paper strip.Lift the cake off of the springform bottom using the plastic wrap to help you. Peel away the plastic wrap and place the cake on a serving platter. Decorate in nonpareil or rainbow sprinkles.
- Slice the cake in wedges with a large, chef’s knife, dipping the knife in hot water in between cuts for the cleanest slices. The cake will keep in the refrigerator, lightly wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to three days.
Subscribe to My Newsletter
Subscribe to my bi-monthly (extraordinarily newsy) newsletter, chock full of recipes and fascinating personal tidbits.
Invalid email address
I promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
2 replies on “Birthday Cake Icebox Cake”
Wonderful fun cake! What is the easiest way to apply the sprinkles without making a total mess?
I’d literally put the cake in the sink!