Peeps, so these best ever chewy M&M cookies are some seriously delicious cookies – like no joke. They are incredibly chewy, wonderfully buttery AND vanilla-y (yes, I am a food writer and no, “vanilla-y” is not a technical term . . . ). They are tender and have crunchy edges and even if you are not an M&Ms fan (which I am and am REALLY hoping you are, too . . .) you will love the little bits of candy coated chocolate throughout these cookies, as M&Ms take on their own personality when surrounded by cookie dough – they just do.
Chewy cookies with crispy edges are kind of my jam, and if they happen to be best ever chewy M&M cookies that call for melted butter and NO resting time, which means they are over the top EASY- PEASY, well then all the better. And here’s the thing – I did not actually develop this recipe! I stumbled upon it in one of my ALL TIME fave magazines, Cook’s Country. Truth be told, I have let a lot of my magazine subscriptions dry up . . . but not those to Cook’s Country and Cook’s Illustrated – as I adore them both – but I digress.
The truth of the matter is that when I read the recipe in the magazine a few months back, I immediately knew I’d be making them due to not only the M&Ms (I mean candy in cookies?? Yes, please! Sign me up!) but also the melted butter. Whenever I develop a cookie recipe, I always consider whether melted butter will work, as using it guarantees a chewy cookie AND usually means you do not have to lug out your stand or hand mixer to make them! Win win!! So . . . the writing was on the wall from way back and if you’d like to see me MAKE these cookies on TikTok and Instagram Reels, be my guest (lucky you!).
Best Ever Chewy M&M Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 yolk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups M&Ms
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the M&Ms and whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the melted butter and the sugars until well combined. Whisk in the egg, yolk and vanilla until well combined. Add the With a flexible spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients in until just combined.
- Scoop 1/4 cup balls of dough using an ice cream scoop or dry measuring cup and evenly space the dough balls on the prepared sheets.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time (or, better yet, only bake off as many dough balls as you plan on eating, and freeze the rest on the cookie sheet, transferring them to a zippered plastic bag once they are frozen – add a few minutes to the bake-time when baking from frozen) for about 8 to 10 minutes. Cookies might seem a little light in color at this point, but they will be excellent – don't worry.
- Let them cool about 5 minutes before eating them (and writing me a thank you letter).