Easy Chocolate Chunk Cinnamon Buns with Cream Cheese Glaze
For the Buns:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cold
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or whole milk cold
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped American Heritage Dark Chocolate
For the egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
For the glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Grated chocolate for decorating, preferably American Heritage’s Finely Grated Baking Chocolate
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray or softened butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
To make buns:
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub it into the dry ingredients with your fingers until pea-sized and crumbly.
- Pour in the cream and stir with a flexible spatula until you can squeeze a bit between two fingers, and it stays together. Use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together as a solid mass.
- Dump the mass onto a lightly floured work surface and knead the dough a few more times until smooth. Roll it into a rectangle about 16 by 10-inches long, with the long side closest to you. Let it rest while you make the filling.
To make the filling:
- Stir all of the ingredients, save for the chopped chocolate, with a fork in a small bowl.
- Evenly spread the filling over the dough, almost all the way to the edges with a small offset spatula or butter knife. Sprinkle with the chopped chocolate and press it lightly with your fingers to adhere.
- Starting from the long edge of the rectangle, begin rolling up the dough, until a tight log is formed. Pinch the dough with your fingers to seal the “seam” along the length of the log.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces and place them evenly cut side-up in the prepared pan.
To make the egg wash:
- Stir the egg and salt with a fork in a small bowl and brush it on the tops of the buns with a pastry brush.
- Bake the buns for 25 to 30 minutes until the tops of the buns are nicely browned and if you stick a toothpick between two of the buns, it comes out clean. Invert the buns right side up onto a serving plate, running a butter knife around the edges if they resist, and make the glaze.
To make the glaze:
- Stir the cream cheese and sugar in a small bowl with a fork. Once combined, add the remaining ingredients and stir until smooth and thick.
- Spoon over the buns, spreading the glaze so it drips (decoratively) down the sides of the buns. Sprinkle with the grated chocolate and serve immediately.
- The buns will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days but they are best straight out of the oven.